My Favorite Reads...and My Life

Some of you may ask why all my blog posts say "kudos" instead of "comments" at the bottom. I changed it because "kudos" is the same in its singular and plural form. So instead of "1 comments," which drives some people crazy, you see "1 kudos" or "3 kudos," both of which are correct.


Sunday, January 27, 2008

ALFA - A Little Friendly Advice

I recently got my hands on an advance copy of A Little Friendly Advice, a novel by Siobhan Vivian (pronounced shove-on).

The Promo Page reads:

Siobhan Vivian has just written a powerful debut novel that asks the question--if you can't trust your friends, just who can you trust?

When Ruby's long-lost father appears on her doorstep on her sixteenth birthday, looking to reconnect, Ruby wants nothing to do with him. She and her mother have gotten along just fine without him all these years. Instead, Ruby just wants to hang out with her friends--loyal Beth, gossipy Maria and dangerous Katherine. They have plenty advice for her about boys, about her dad, about how she should look and what she should be feeling. But Ruby doesn't know what to think or feel. Especially when a new boy comes into the picture and Ruby discovers some of her friends aren't as truthful as they say they are.


ALFA is an amazing book. All the characters are have real emotions and Ruby is a character that I find easy to relate to. Charlie is absolutely adorable, and Ruby's friends have a lot of depth to them. In addition, the book is very well written and easy to follow. Also present is some subtle symbolism that doesn't g
rab you by the ear and say, "Look at me! I represent something!" The symbolism is present, and reading it makes me smile for some reason. The cover is wonderful. All the characters are easily recognizable.

I will be getting some buttons in the mail from Siobhan Vivian, and I'll post some pictures when I get them.

ALFA is set to be on the shelves March 2008.

Pre-order ALFA now: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Friendly-Advice-Siobhan-Vivian/dp/0545004047/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201497688&sr=8-1

Visit the author's website at http://siobhanvivian.com/

1 comment:

Little Willow said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed this book as much as I did.