My Favorite Reads...and My Life

Some of you may ask why all my blog posts say "kudos" instead of "comments" at the bottom. I changed it because "kudos" is the same in its singular and plural form. So instead of "1 comments," which drives some people crazy, you see "1 kudos" or "3 kudos," both of which are correct.


Monday, January 28, 2008

Cassie Was Here

Cassie Was Here is an adorable new book by Caroline Hickey aimed toward the preteen set. Bree, an 11 year-old girl, used to have an imaginary friend, Joey, when she was younger. Joey went away, but when Bree moves to a new town and is alone, Joey comes back to be her friend. Then a new girl moves across the street, Cassie. She's older, cool and confident, and she immediately impresses Bree. And maybe, Bree will be able to leave Joey for a new friend.

The book is absolutely adorable. Caroline Hickey's first novel accurately portrays the awkward transition from pre-teen to teen.

My favorite character is Anna, who we don't meet until about the middle of the book. She's shut up in her house recovering from mono, and her mom won't let her out. She's sort of a secondary character; even though Cassie adds so much color, Anna adds more detail to the story. Her defying her mother makes me grin.

You won't really get the title until the very end, but I like it like that, when everything comes together at the end.

Buy this book now at http://www.amazon.com/Cassie-Was-Here-Caroline-Hickey/dp/1596432055/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201580812&sr=8-1

and visit Caroline Hickey's website at http://carolinehickey.com/

2 comments:

Caroline Hickey said...

Gela,
Thanks so much for the great review! I'm thrilled you liked the book, and even more thrilled you've started your own book blog.

I'd love to send you a CASSIE WAS HERE bookmark. Email me with your address if you're interested.

caroline AT carolinehickey.com

Gela said...

AAAH!! Caroline Hickey is reading my blog!!!

Just Kidding. Sort of.

I'm equally thrilled you liked my thoughts, and more equally thrilled (??) that you're thrilled I started a book blog.

I LOVE bookmarks!! I hope you got my email!